M.Phil. is a two years degree program and according to “PMDC” criteria, it is a “Level II b” degree.
Note: PMC (Pakistan Medical Commission) didn’t register M.Phil. degrees and according to them, it is an academic degree (Not clinical) so, it will be recognized by HEC. But PMDC is registering it.
It is mostly done in basic sciences such as
Pros & Cons
There are Pros and Cons of an M.Phil. degree, so one should keep them in mind before opting M.Phil.
- Two years Program with research work
- The first year comprises theory or classes and the second year is mostly dedicated to research work.
- Most of the departments have regular morning shifts only. No extra calls are there except pathology where you have to do evening or night in hospital labs (but once a month or so)
- M.Phil. holders usually hold a teaching cadre. You can become an assistant Professor after one or two years of experience after passing your M.Phil.
- In most cases, FCPS part 1 is also exempted after 2 years of passing M.Phil. and one-year training is also exempted. You need to apply in the NRP section of CPSP (Rule may change so contact CPSP for further details).
- Some universities have a very low passing rate, so it may take some time to clear your degree, especially the thesis work.
- Because PMC is not considering this as a clinical degree, so M.Phil. Pathology students may suffer issues in supervising their private laboratories independently. See PMC Notices given at the end of this post.
Now coming to the admissions in M.Phil. programs in various institutes of Pakistan
1- University of Health Sciences Lahore takes an entry test as eligibility criterion. Once the result is announced, every institute advertises its program.
In the following institutes, the UHS entry test is compulsory
- University of Health Sciences Lahore
- Post Graduate Medical Institute / Lahore General Hospital Lahore
- Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore
- Sheikh Zayed Hospital Lahore
- Nishter Medical University Multan
- Institute of Public Health Lahore
- Children Hospital Lahore (Not announced since 2-3 years)
|UPMED conducts its course for UHS Entrance Test. See Details by clicking this link.
2- Rawalpindi Medical University Rawalpindi and Faisalabad Medical University Faisalabad conduct their own entrance test and announce them separately.
3- King Edward Medical University Lahore takes admissions in February-March. GAT General (C) is necessary for admission. See Details of GAT
4- Following institutes also offer M.Phil. degrees in certain subjects.
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi
- National University of Medical Sciences Rawalpindi (NUMS)
- National University of Sciences and Technology Rawalpindi (NUST) / Army Medical College
- University Medical and Dental College Faisalabad
- University of Lahore (UOL), Lahore
- Bahria University Medical and Dental College Karachi
- Baqai Medical University Karachi
- Chandka Medical College Larkana
- Dow Medical College (Dow University of Health Sciences)
- Hamdard University
- Isra University
- Jinnah Post Graduate Medical College (BMSI) Karachi (Dow University of Health Sciences)
- Peoples University of Medical & Health Science for Women Nawabshah, Shaheed Benazirabad
- Ziauddin University Karachi
- Khyber Medical University (Institute of Basic Medical Sciences)
- Peshawar Medical & Dental College (Riphah International University)
- Sardar Begum Dental College Peshawar (Gandhara University)
- Federal Government Polyclinic, PGMI Islamabad
- Islamic International Medical College ( Ripah International University)
- Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Islamabad
- Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University Islamabad
No M.Phil. Institutes in Baluchistan and Azad Kashmir.
Notification of Pakistan Medical Commission with respect to M.Phil. Pathology Controversy:
|Subscribe to Whatsapp Broadcast
|If you want to receive the latest updates on WhatsApp; then click this link to be added to our list. You will be able to see all the updates on our Whatsapp Statuses or send a Whatsapp Message to 03042397393.